Concessions and Application Criteria – Goulburn Valley Designated Area Migration Agreement

2 June 2022

The Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA) has been significant in helping rural employers across Australia find much needed skilled overseas workers. 

Employers in the Goulburn Valley (GV) region looking to sponsor and hire skilled and semi-skilled overseas workers are urged to first review the eligibility status of the potential roles. Then, once eligibility is confirmed, employers may also seek endorsement from the Designated Area Representative (DAR) for one of the following concession types to apply to an Occupation. 

In this blog, we’ll outline the different concessions and application criteria ability that employers must be aware of under the GV DAMA. 

Salary (TSMIT) Concession

There are 2 types of TSMIT Concessions – the first is a Reduced TSMIT, and Earnings to include guaranteed overtime, and the second type is TSMIT, and Earnings to include guaranteed overtime and non-monetary and monetary benefits. 

A Reduced TSMIT is 90% of the total TSMIT and the DAR will specify the TSMIT Concession type applicable to the occupation in their endorsement letter. Concessions on TSMIT are available for employers for the occupations listed in the Table of Approved Occupations.

An employer must show that the salary offered to a potential overseas worker is the same as what an Australian citizen or permanent resident would expect in the same occupation, in the same location.

A threshold minimum which currently sits at $53,900p.a must be paid. The threshold is known as the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT).

English Language Concession

For the occupations listed in the Table of Approved Occupations, the following English language concessions are available:

  • TSS & SESR: average score of IELTS 5.0 with no minimum component (unless registration or licensing requires a higher level of English)

ENS concession: average score of IELTS 5.0 with no component being less than IELTS 4.0 (unless registration or licensing requires a higher level of English)

IELTS means the International English Language Testing System or the equivalent in another accepted English language test.

  • Occupational English Test (OET)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test; or
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test.

The English Language Concessions are available under TSS, SESR and

ENS visas.

How Businesses Are Assessed?

Businesses seeking endorsement are now required to complete a declaration that they will meet all the requirements for DAR endorsement. 

The employer must also provide detailed evidence to support their claims to the Department of Home Affairs. The declaration form is included in the Request for Endorsement Application Form.

To gain DAR endorsement, the DAR will need to be satisfied that:

  • The requested occupations and concessions sought are available.
  • The maximum ceiling numbers have not already been reached for that year.
  • The concessions are reasonable with regards to current labour market conditions in the region.
  • Approved occupations are identified within the request
  • The request supports the objectives outlined in the DAMA; and
  • The employer has completed the declaration form.
  • If for any reason the DAR has concerns about an employer’s circumstances or the validity of any aspects of their request to utilise the DAMA, the DAR can seek clarification or information from the employer as deemed necessary.

Eligibility Checklist

The eligibility checklist is designed to assist an employer to decide if they are eligible to participate in the GV DAMA program and to ultimately seek approval to employ an overseas worker. 

Some of the key points to consider in the GV DAMA eligibility checklist include:

  • Is the business located in the GV region?
  • Has the business met the labour market testing requirements?
  • Is the business aware of the potential costs involved?

Get In Touch Today!

If you would like more information regarding the Goulburn Valley Designated Area Migration Agreement please contact Greater Shepparton City Council.